You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘Datuk Seri Zulhasnan Rafique’ tag.

Read and you’ll see the half baked, cautious and conditional ban and freeze, that leaves ample room for development to resume once the heat of the moment subsides. This lack of will to safeguard human lives is what happens when the Government gets into business – profits before principles.

If the 25 – 35 degree slopes are to be ‘studied further, for reinforcement, etc etc’ which in all probability will not be worth the paper that its written on, we should demand, that there must be an additional guarantee in perpetuity of a landslide insurance against loss of life and property for all affected stakeholders in and around the development project, to be borne by the Government, Federal or Local body giving the project development approval.

Ashok M

JAC for Bukit Gasing

—————————————————-

FLASH:No development on steep hillslopes
Bernama, NST Frontpage, December 12, 2008
http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Friday/Frontpage/20081212172050/Article/index_html

KUALA LUMPUR, FRI:

The Federal Territory Ministry today decided not to allow any development projects on hillslopes of more than 35 degree gradient and freezes projects on hillslopes with gradient of between 26 to 35 degree, its minister Datuk Seri Zulhasnan Rafique said in Putrajaya.

————————————————–

No development on hill slopes exceeding 35 degrees gradient in FT
Bernama, NST Frontpage, December 12, 2008
http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Friday/NewsBreak/20081212194954/Article/index_html

PUTRAJAYA, FRI:

The Federal Territories Ministry today decided to disallow any development on hill slopes with a gradient of more than 35 degrees in the Federal Territories of Kuala Lumpur, Putrajaya and Labuan. Its minister, Datuk Seri Zulhasnan Rafique said projects on hill slopes with a gradient of 26 to 35 degrees would be frozen until such time when a proper planning, design and control system had been devised and enforced by the government.

“However, the developers or contractors of the affected projects will be asked to carry out work to reinforce the soil structure including constructing a proper drainage system to ensure that the soil structure is safe from landslides,” he told reporters at a press conference at his office, here today.

Zulhasnan said that for projects on hill slopes that had already been approved, the developers or contractors would not be allowed to carry out earth works or building construction until the government had reached a decision.

“The Ministry of Housing and Local Government and the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment are carrying out studies on this matter and they will issue guidelines on such developments soon, and whether these projects would continue will depend on these guidelines,” he said.

Zulhasnan said that currently three projects in Kuala Lumpur had been identified as risky, namely the development of 21 units of bungalows in Medan Damansara, the development of a block of service apartments in Bukit Ceylon, and the development of bungalows on Bukit Gasing.

For the projects in Medan Damansara and Bukit Ceylon, he said the developers had been ordered to stop development work and, instead, asked to reinforce the slopes as had been approved.

For the project in Bukit Gasing, Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) had postponed consideration for the application to build individual bungalows as the case had been taken to court because the residents of Taman Bukit Gasing were not happy with the approval given for the project.

Noel Achariam, NST Streets, Friday, 25 July 2008

 

SHAH ALAM: Scrap it, say 10 of Kuala Lumpur’s 11 members of parliament of the KL City Draft Plan.

 

The MPs decided at a meeting on Wednesday to campaign for the plan to be withdrawn and a new plan drawn up that takes in the public’s interests.
They plan to start a road show to explain to constituents the flaws in the plan, and to bring their objections to the prime minister.

The 10 MPs, of Pakatan Rakyat, said they would collect signatures from those who are against the plan.

The MPs have also decided to send an objection letter to the prime minister and the Federal Territories minister.

The decision was made at a closed door meeting on Wednesday at the Shah Alam residence of Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim, the Bandar Tun Razak MP who is also the Selangor Menteri Besar. Members of Coalition to Save Kuala Lumpur (CSKL) also attended the meeting.

Segambut MP Lim Lip Eng did not attend, and neither did Datuk Seri Zulhasnan Rafique, the MP for Setiawangsa, who is Federal Territories Minister.

Bukit Bintang MP Fong Kui Lun said the MPs had agreed to collectively write a letter stating their objections to the draft plan.

CSKL has explained in detail the draft plan, which is in serious violation of the National Physical Plan (NPP). I believe that we have to move fast as the objection deadline (Aug 31) is just around the corner,” he said.

Kepong MP Tan Seng Giaw said: “We are looking at various things that were discussed at the meeting and we have all agreed that the plan does not conform with the NPP.”

He said the MPs are now questioning the legality of the draft plan.

“Currently there are 1.6 million people living in Kuala Lumpur and according to the draft plan, it will be increased to 2.2 million by 2020. This shows that the plan is not binding to the NPP.

“They are supposed to lower the density, instead they are increasing it. This simply shows that the draft plan does not conform with the NPP.

“How are we going to make Kuala Lumpur a world class city if there are such discrepancies in the plan?” he asked.

“What authority have they got? How can they approve the draft plan without consulting the people?”

Tan stressed that City Hall must answer all the questions and objections raised.

He added that the MPs are going to step up their campaign and go to the grassroots to explain to the people.

“We will also go through the proper channels to have discussions with City Hall and the prime minister and then we will decide on the next step to take,” he said.

Cheras MP Tan Kok Wai said that the MPs are serious in seeking a meeting with the prime minister to present a letter of objection on the draft Plan.

“We are opposing the draft plan due to several reasons. Firstly, the plan has failed to comply with the legal requirements, including the Town and Country Planning Act 1982. And we will also bring up the issue of the Draft Plan Volume 3, which is still not available to the public,” he said.

“The prime minister might not be in the know of the flaws in the draft plan. We will be stating all our reasons in our letter to him,” he said.

CSKL chairman Tan Sri Abdul Aziz Abdul Rahman said: “We were called in to brief the MPs and the Selangor Menteri Besar on the flaws of the draft plan. We have explained in detail all the issues and legal aspect of the plan.”

CSKL is a coalition of 32 residents’ associations, non-governmental organisations and other concerned parties.

 

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/Streets/Friday/Stories/2302184/Article/index_html

Follow Save Bukit Gasing On Twitter

Follow Us On Facebook

Recent Posts

July 2021
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
%d bloggers like this: