The Star Online – By PRIYA MENON
THE residents affected by the Bukit Antarabangsa landslide last December are looking at avenues for compensation from all the relevant stakeholders, including the Ampang Jaya Municipal Council (MPAJ).
Bukit Antarabangsa Action Committee secretary-general Raymond Jagathesan said they were proposing three main compensation avenues in view of negligence by the parties:
·An unspecified quantum for the lives lost in the tragic incident;
·An appeal to rebuild the collapsed houses, which, upon completion, will be handed over to the residents; and
Compensation for residents whose houses are still standing but have been forced to evacuate and are renting homes elsewhere.
He said no amount of money could replace the lives lost, hence their decision to propose an unspecified amount.
He added that residents were asking for their homes to be rebuilt as the RM70mil given by the Federal Government to rehabilitate the slopes would act as a buffer.
“The work being carried out is to eradicate any recurrence of a landslide in the area,” Jagathesan said.
He also said residents who had been forced to shift out had to pay for the rental of new houses while still paying off their loans for their homes in Bukit Antarabangsa. There were also other expenses, like travelling.
The recent release of a technical committee report which cited a number of factors, including loose soil, lack of maintenance and faulty drainage, as the cause of the landslide has prompted them to ask for the compensation.
Residents had been led to believe that the incident was a natural disaster until the report was made public earlier this week by Selangor Mentri Besar Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim.
The residents will be having a meeting this weekend to decide on the proposal to be sent to those responsible for the incident.
Jagathesan urged all parties involved to resolve the issue amicably instead of forcing the residents to take legal action.
Under the Street, Drainage and Building Act 1974, local councils cannot be made liable for any collapsed building.
Jagathesan said if they could not take legal action, the residents association would seek help from the state government.
The tragedy on Dec 6 last year claimed five lives and affected thousands more.